Head of Waste Management - London, United Kingdom,
Waste, Recycling, Street Cleansing, Environmental, Frontline Services
Head of Waste Management. As the Head of Waste Management, you will be working for a London Borough. This is an interim role for 6 - 9 months. Daily rate to £600 (inside IR35).
The Waste Service operation
- Waste services are contracted out through a contract ending in 2025. The contract cost is approximately £16m per year.
- Services include waste, recycling, street cleansing, bulky waste collection, graffiti removal and seasonal services.
- Increasing satisfaction levels with littering and fly-tipping.
- Improving our recycling rate.
- Reducing contamination of recycling and increasing quality of recyclable materials collected
- Continued pressure to provide 21st century waste collection to 19th and 20th century buildings, exacerbated by high density and transient population
- Responding to concerns over plastics use and recycling (when our costs are driven by weight)
- Collection and disposal costs for fly tips are in the region of £3m per year.
The post holder
The interim post holder needs to be resilient, able to juggle competing and often changing priorities and have a background in waste management services. A strong track record of negotiating favourable commercial and/or contractual outcomes is essential. Credibility with Members with the drive and commitment to deliver their ambitious agenda for the borough is a key requirement.